Welcome back to The Wellbeing Garden.
Today’s short and sweet episode has a few tips for growing healthy food in pots and containers.
I’ve grown food in bathtubs, wheelbarrow, buckets and always recycled or upcycled items that I think would look good or suit growing edible crops.
Here’s my tips for healthy potted plants;
- Keep the soil in containers healthy through each season by topping it up. The soil level can drop in containers, so top up with fresh potting mix.
- Add a small amount of slow release fertiliser to all potted plants every season, and then apply a deep watering.
- A fortnightly application of liquid fertiliser gives plants the nutrients needed to produce an abundance of crops and flowers. Apply all over soil AND foliage.
- Check roots of plants in pots/containers. If they’re looking all tangled and overgrown then it’s time to pot up to a larger size pot or container and add fresh potting mix.
- Prune any damaged, diseased or overgrown foliage off potted plants to encourage healthy new growth.
- If ants have moved into your pots then the soil could be very dry. Place the whole pot and plant in a large bucket of water and soak for about 20 minutes. This gives the soil and roots a good soaking of water. Then apply any extra potting mix or compost to top up the soil level.
A few things to read and watch…
- Growing Food in Small Spaces - https://soiltosupper.com/episode-009-growing-food-in-small-spaces/
- Growing Microgreens - https://soiltosupper.com/microgreens-growing-itty-bitty-little-greens/
- Growing in a Hanging Basket - https://youtu.be/xpGxrj_rUQ8
- Share your love of gardening and support others - https://soiltosupper.com/therapeutic-gardening-training/
Gather the steps to complete these fun activities HERE along with extra ideas for creating healthy gardens.
Join me on socials…Instagram and Facebook @soiltosupper and LinkedIn
Thanks to the team at Honeybee Creative for producing episodes for The Wellbeing Garden. Find out about their amazing programs at https://www.honeybeecreativeqld.com/
Looking for guidance in your garden or to help others?
Here’s two ways I can support you now!
- In my FREE Program I share 5 simple ways to enhance health and enjoy time in the garden. Boost physical and emotional wellness, learn ways to keep gardening, grow therapeutic plants and delicious healthy food. JOIN HERE
- Ask a Question in our Free Facebook Club. It’s a great place to connect with other gardeners and share your gardening wins.
“Let’s make gardening accessible for everyone!”
Thank You for joining me in The Wellbeing Garden.
Enjoy an amazing day,