Through my studies in Horticulture and Permaculture Design I’ve gained skills to create amazing gardens, and through the years I’ve developed simple methods to save time and money!
In this episode I share my easy methods for creating a new garden or for revamping existing gardens.
Here’s the simple steps I’ve covered…
- When creating gardens the BEST place to start is with planning. This saves time and money! Create a vision board and add all the features and plants you’d like in your garden. Also consider how much time, money and space you have for these gardens. Create a ‘shopping list’ of the foods you enjoy eating as this helps with planning what to grow.
“Dream BIG but start small. Make gardening a pleasure not a chore!”
- Once you’ve planned your garden now it’s time to get your hands dirty! Time to create your garden. Follow your plans and start with paths, fences, seating and other garden elements.
Then create gardens by following a ‘no-dig’ method, set up an ‘in-garden’ compost system, plant trees and shrubs. Find links to these methods below.
- After establishing your garden features and garden beds you can also start growing in containers.
Consider growing herbs, flowers and leafy greens. When potting use THE best potting mix you can buy and add extra fertiliser to feed plants long term.
- The next step is to get your new plants growing! Follow the list you created of your favourite foods and start with these.
Also choose plants suitable for your climate and the current season and grow plants from seeds, seedlings or established plants.
- Nurturing your garden is super important to keep your plants thriving and producing abundant crops.
Follow organic gardening methods, feed the soil not the plants, harvest foods regularly and observe everything going on so you can support your garden’s growth. Keep a garden kit on hand with all your favourite tools, equipment and organic garden products to save time when heading out to the garden!
Here’s the list of links I’ve mentioned through this episode…
Want more ideas for designing your garden? Grab a copy of my eBook ‘How to Design a Sustainable Garden’ HERE!
Join the Soil to Supper Facebook Club for Q and A days, fun themes and connecting with other growers!
The Wellbeing Garden episodes available HERE.
Subscribe on iTunes.
Thanks for joining me in The Wellbeing Garden. Please contact me anytime you have any questions!
See you next time.
© cath manuel 4 january 2017