With Winter heading upon us, now is a great time to sample a few winter warming soups using fresh herbs and veggies from the garden.
This recipe is my adaptation of the delicious Italian soup Zuppa di Farro or farro and bean soup. I usually make a double batch as it’s wonderful to enjoy for lunch the next day…with a few crusty baguettes and a cheese platter…Mmmm!
I hope you enjoy this simple, yet delicious soup as much as my family does.
- 1 tablespoon quality oil
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped - or any other fresh green veg, e.g. broccoli, choko, cauliflower
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or 3 fresh tomatoes chopped
- bunch Bouquet garni - sprigs of rosemary, thyme (lemon thyme is delicious), oregano and parsley
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup brown rice or pearl barley
- 250g pancetta or quality bacon
- 6 cups of vegeatble stock or 6 cups water with home-made (Thermomix) veggie stock paste or purchased stock paste/powder.
TIP - use good quality, organic if possible, vegetable stock with no added preservatives or msg.
Pour in wine, gently stir and allow to evaporate - approx 8 minutes
Add brown rice or pearl barley and stock
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until rice/barley is cooked
Season with Salt and pepper
Enjoy with a crusty baguette!
© cath manuel 8 april 2015