This simple and tasty rice dish is a favourite with my boys!
I posted the recipe a few years ago on the ‘Grub’s Up’ page, but thought it would be good to share it again…Enjoy!
Here’s my method…
1 ½ cups cooked and cooled rice – I like brown rice for the nutty flavour but jasmine or basmati is also suitable.
- 500g - 700g chicken thighs chopped into small pieces - omit for vegetarian dish
- 1 red onion chopped small
- 1 clove australian organic garlic finely chopped
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger or galangal grated
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves finely sliced
- Approx 3 cups of vegetables chopped – try using silverbeet, bok choy or other asian greens, chinese cabbage, red cabbage, brazillian spinach, baby spinach or celery leaves. Capsicum, carrots and eggplant add nice colour to the dish. Carrots can be grated to blend through rice and with other veggies. Chokos are also delicious peeled, diced and added with other veg.
- 1 cup fresh herbs from the garden finely chopped– coriander, Vietnamese mint, common mint, parsley or spring onions…whatever you like!
- If you like eggs in your rice then use 3 eggs to make a thin omelette and slice up to blend through rice or serve as a garnish.
- Tamari / Soy Sauce, sweet chilli sauce and fresh limes
- Toasted sesame seeds are also nice to sprinkle on top
I have to admit that I guestimate my quantities sometimes!! As long as you have some cooked rice and chicken add whatever veggies and sauces your family likes.
Using a wok or large electric fry pan fry off chicken in a small amount of oil. Coconut Oil has a nice taste. When cooked place aside.
Quickly fry Kaffir Lime leaves until brown and crunchy, in small amount of coconut oil, then remove and place in a small bowl.
Add a small amount of oil and fry onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add all the chopped veggies to the pan. You can add a small amount of water to help lightly steam veggies (about 2 tablespoons)
When veggies have softened add cooked rice and combine together using large spatula or wooden spoon. I have bamboo spatulas for this.
Add cooked chicken, chopped herbs, kaffir lime leaves and mix together. Add Tamari or soy sauce to suit your families taste and also add some sweet chilli sauce to spice it up a little. You can also add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice or fish sauce.
Serve into bowls and top with slices of shallots or chopped coriander.
© cath manuel 26 march 2015